Wednesday, July 14, 2010

IS IT BECAUSE AM A CAGED ANIMAL??

Behind these bars.
This cage.
Baring both my physical and mental liberty.
In here,90 or even more of us instead of the stipulated 20.
The sweat and puke is nauseating.Then again bhang!!
How do they get in here???
Pen and paper I have not.
Blood for ink and these dirty walls for my paper.

Yesterday one of us succumbed to food poisoning.
Hmmm..I am infected with TB not to mention lice and skin rash.
I used to cry.
Those were the days.
Now am hardened;a stone.

Rumors!!
Public flogging.
WHY?? I ask.
The wardens suspect information about here is leaking out!!!

''its about time'', I say.
Interestingly,its block 4C.

US!!
We are facing the whip!!!

CLANG!!CLANG!!CLANG!! The locks flung open.Our punishment meted out.
REMOVE YOUR CLOTHES!!!
Stand in two lines!!

The cold makes me NUMB ;but the idea of me smelling blood AGAIN makes me NUMBER.
For a moment I defy gravity
Am floating on a sea of bodies.
JESUS!! The cold is slapping at our nude bodies.
A nudist colony.

We step out of the cell,sunlight mocking us.
prayers and cries.
We lie on the floor covered in black polythene paper-probably to dispose off any evidence after the ''session''.
My next mate is in a trance, and asks
''Why are you here?,why are you here?''
Before i could answer,doors on all corners of the now 'flogging field' flung open.
In came about 40 armed men.
Simis,Rungus,mallets and metal bars.
Are they going MINING??
A stampede ensued.
Then the dreaded smell,screams,strokes of cane;beatings.

Oh my leg..my head.
Is that an EYE?? Blood,Screams,Insults,Shoving,Pushing,Mess.
Gradually,the noise recede :DARKNESS and then..BLACKOUT!!!!


Is that the proverbial white light???
Grandpa??
Aunty??
Serenity.
At least I can now...

REST IN PEACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment