Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Her Story

I attended a training with G-PANGE and the experience there was amazing, I will be sharing what went down there through articles that have been published in Pulse Magazine.

Her Story

As I sat on the line of waiting student, I hoped not to crease my school uniform with the bench. My anxiety further heightens as I wait my turn with the counselor. The VCT sign stares at me, as if to tell me something. I am finally called in. It is clear, no shades of grey. I am positive. HIV POSITIVE. At 15.
I left the VCT center with more questions than answers. How did I contract it? Was I born with it? Or was it that first time with the lawyer? I was confused, in denial and bitter. People would talk if they found out my status. I swore to keep it as my secret. The bitterness however drove me to an infection “spree”. I swore to have unprotected sex with anyone who asked me. I dint care. If I was to die, I would not be alone. Ultimately, I contracted a Sexually transmitted disease and later on dropped out of school.
Nine years later, in a turquoise blue dress, a young lady stands up from her chair and heads to the front of the room. The crowd of youths at Maanzoni Lodge was expecting a much older facilitator for this session. Her aura of confidence however dispels their doubts the moment she smiles and says:
“My name is Adhiambo*, I am 23 years old. Many have looked at me and wondered what I am doing here. Well, I have come to share with you about Prevention with Positives (PwP). I am HIV positive and a proud mother of one.”
The crowd went silent. From the look of the listeners, awe and surprise was evident. Day four of the training would certainly be historic.

No comments:

Post a Comment